Sunday, May 30, 2010

Growing Loquats From Seed

Loquat is a tree that I have had experience with in the past. Fifteen years ago my parents purchased some loquats from a grocery store in Chinatown. We buried some pits in the backyard to grow our own tree. After 5 years it finally bared fruit. It is now over 20 ft tall and we get to enjoy loquats every summer.

This year I decided to save some of the pits for myself in an attempt to grow my own tree. Instead of putting the put in a pot of soil or burying it in the ground, I am putting the pits between some paper towels. Nine days ago I put 9 pits between a paper towel, and put the paper towel in a plastic Ziploc bag. Keeping the paper towel moist, put the bag in a nice sunny window.

Well today, one of the pits finally started to sprout. It wouldn't surprise me if in the next few days the other ones start as well. When the roots get a little longer the pits will be potted.



No comments:

Post a Comment